Thursday, April 21, 2011

Kitchen Strainers and the Morning Commute


Yeah I know.

It's been a slackerish time for me in the Blogosphere. I mean, one would think that with the plethora of free time that having been laid off for a couple of months would have garnered me I would have been enlightening the masses on pretty much a daily basis as to the inner workings of my warped mind, but alas.

And no, I haven't even done anything one could call exciting. Nothing that has actually kept me away, I have just been, well lazy.

All of my computer time was applying to jobs and of course cruising on Facebook. It was all mindless really. The resume pre-typed I just clicked "SEND" and off they went.

But then, then after a brief interview (if you can actually call it that since it was with yet another staffing agency rather than an actual prospective employer) I met some of my old co-worker friends from my old job at Gillette in Boston.

I walked in feeling like a rock star. No really. I was greeted by a bevy of familiar faces, all whose faces lit up with smiles as they saw me. They were genuinely happy to see me. Really! It was nice to have been missed, to have been remembered a year later as some one they had formerly enjoyed working with.

I got the age old question "Are you back??" or "Are you coming back?" over and over again as different people did double takes of my presence in the company cafe. Sadly, I was not seeing anything on the horizon at that point in time.

But THEN....

I got a call. And like Superman ducking into his phone booth to transform himself into the Super Hero he was, I sprang into action. THEY WANTED ME BACK!

I was on my way back to the job I loved. Well, sort of. (even just typing the words "sort of" instantly brings me to my favorite Demetri martin joke..."'Sort of' is such a harmless thing to say... sort of. It's just a filler. Sort of... it doesn't really mean anything. But after certain things, sort of means everything. Like... after "I love you"... or "You're going to live"... or "It's a boy!")

I was going back, but in another department in a similar role. And yet I didn't care. I was GOING BACK!

So as the weeks narrowed to my start date, my 32nd (*GASP*) birthday arrived. Why is it that as you get older people expect your birthday to become a non-event? I don't know about you, but I kind of like having a day all about me (although many people I know seem to think I make every day about me, but that's just horse shit). Who doesn't like presents and being made to feel special? If they say they don't, they're lying.

So my birthday week was a nice one. The Saturday prior a nice night out sans kids with The Boy. A gift I had wanted for quite some time (A Kindle!!) and then on my actual birthday, another great dinner this time including the kids, my mother and my brother.

I have also noticed that as you get older, your gifts (even though usually by your choice) get more and more practical and less whimsical. I got a great pair of boots from my mother, which was about as close to whimsy as I got. I got my Kindle (which I have yet to put down I love it so much) from my Love, I got a Kindle cover and book light from my son (although I am sure my 6 year old wasn't able to drive to the store and spend his hard earned cash on it, so I know Ma Dukes played a hand in that one) and I got an expandable kitchen strainer from my brother (which I had seen in a catalogue at my mother's house and said "Wow that's cool!", which he apparently took as a cue and got for me)

Yup. You know you're old when you get excited about a kitchen strainer as a birthday present. I wouldn't call it rock bottom in the age game per say, but year by year I am on my Way.

So now, as of Tuesday (since Monday was a holiday in Massachusetts....good old Patriots Day, or more commonly known as Marathon Monday) I was back in the ranks of the commuting work force.

I was never happier to see traffic in my life. (Who knew?)

As I sat, slowly inching up the Southeast Expressway into Boston, I was happy. Things were going my way. I have an amazing boyfriend, a supportive family (who can obviously piss me off to no end, but for now they're on my good side), a healthy kid who's about to start T-Ball, a car that doesn't catch on fire (You can read back to December for info on that fun story in case you missed it) and a job I enjoy for a company I love. I mean sure my roomate may be moving out next week, but on the whole things in my life couldn't be better.

Keep the good stuff a comin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Street Cred....Blog Love from Other Bloggers

Street Cred....Blog Love from Other Bloggers